Week 34 2026 - Long-lasting - Porter

I grew up with my mom having five or six pieces of Guardian service Cookware. They were given to her by her by my grandmother Nellie (Dillingham) Porter.  As I am older now, I wonder why Grandma Porter would have given them to her?  Did she not like the way they cooked? Did she have other pieces and the ones she shared were extras? I never heard that they were a wedding gift.... boy, I sure wish I had asked a whole lot more questions.

When J Holly founded the Guardian Service Cookware company in 1930, he never realized that the durability of his cookware would survive generations of homemakers. He was looking for a product that would incorporate long-lasting aluminum (a fairly new product), innovative design that would produce successful heat conductivity and help women to create a satisfying meal.

The hammered aluminum pieces had domed shaped aluminum lids that helped with 'waterless' cooking and maintained moisture so the food would cook in its own juices and at a lower temperature. During WWII in the 1940's the company changed to glass lids to help the war effort. They were made to be used on gas stoves, electric stoves, in the oven or on a grill.         

                                                Medium Roaster

                                                                               

The only way to purchase these products was with a home-based demonstration party where the salesman would actually make a meal for the attendees to sample before buying the product. It was the modern-day Tupperware style of sales.

Guests were encouraged to purchase one or two pieces at a time as purchasing a complete set in the 1940's was equivalent to about $2,500.00 in today's dollars.

Today many of these products are available for purchase from eBay and antique shops.

Large meat platter 

After Mom passed away, each of us sisters chose a piece of that cookware to keep. Some of those pieces are still being used today, carrying on the tradition that began with Mom. I hope they will continue to be passed down to the next generation, keeping a little piece of our family history alive for years to come. 

Doing the research for this article, I found out that the Dutch Oven that I have from mom is NOT a Guardian Service Cookware piece. Although it is of hammered aluminum, has a domed shaped lid it is actually a Club Aluminum Cookware piece that was manufactured during the same time span, was made in Chicago, Illinois and in the 1930's was sold via home-based sales parties. In the 1940's they became available in retail stores.

          

Although I am a little sad that my Dutch oven is not part of that original set, I am thankful to have a piece of Mom’s kitchen history—the pan she always used for her “mac ’n cheese.” Whenever it is used, I think of sitting with Mom around the dining room table, with saltines and real butter always close at hand. 

Barbie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11 2026 - A Turning Point - Sam Dillingham

Week 43 - Urban - Lorraine Sheridan

Week 42 - Fire - Conner/Graham