Week 36 - More Than A Name - Porter Girls
Often certain names bring to mind good people, good memories or good times. This prompt has been a tough one for me this week. I'm not sure why. But I struggled to find a story that was a good fit.
Today, I thought what about my name. And my sister's names. There is a story in each of us. We are all more than a name.
Carolyn was going to be a different name. Carol Lee? I remember hearing that mom had picked out the name, and then a friend had a girl a few months ahead of her and she named her daughter the name that mom had picked out. So, Carolyn she became. As the oldest, she has always herded us up and taken us with her even when she was a teenager. When she spoke, we listened.
Maxine was named for a sister of my dad. Not the Maxine, but her middle name. But when the Polio virus affected her, my grandpa Sheridan stated, 'Oh the poor little Mick' and the name Mickie stuck. She has always been extremely competitive. Always striving to be able to do what everyone else was doing. And it showed throughout her life. If she put her mind to it, she was able to accomplish it.
Barbara is me. I have never liked my name. My middle name is for my Grandma Porter. Guess mom just had to find something that would go along with that. As the middle child I am a bit more rebellious and also the peacekeeper. Or maybe make that the one who speaks her mind. I'm the one who left the family circle and spent years away from home. But I am very glad to be back in the fold.
Shelley is number four in line. She is the sister who is a businesswoman, happy and contented to be involved in her community and is a great athlete. She loves her family tightly and is always smiling. Often, she is the voice of reason and can pull most of us off the cliff.
Kimberley is the baby. A bit spoiled. But after all of us others, she needed to be. She is the type that is fiercely loyal to her family and very protective. And we older ones have always tried to protect her especially during her growing up years.
All five of us have had great successes in our lives so far. We have always been known as the 'Porter Girls' and we are extremely loyal to each other. I'm not saying any of us are perfect and Lord knows we have had our times of not getting along, but when it comes down to it, you better know that if you attack one, you attack all five.
I love my sisters and I wouldn't have chosen anyone else to share the name.
Barbie

Comments
Post a Comment